The Dread Family was a family of six which owned the Haunted Mansion before they all killed each other. They are presented as busts in front of the DisneyWorld Haunted Mansion as part of the 2010 interactive queue installation and work as a mystery game where guests use clues hidden on the busts and epitaphs to solve the mystery of who killed who.
The Dread family was made up of six family members who all murdered one another to gain the family fortune through inheritance. The family members in order of death were:
- Uncle Jacob Dread:"Greed was the poison he had swallowed. He went first, the others followed. His killer’s face he surely knew. Now try to discover who killed who". A wealthy aristocrat who was poisoned by Bertie for his wealth.
- Bertie Dread: "Avid hunter and expert shot, in the end that’s what he got". A big game hunter and expert marksman who was shot by florence with a pistol as revenge for killing Jacob.
- Aunt Florence McGriffin Dread:"Never did a dishonorable deed, yet found face down in canary seed". Jacob's honourable wife who was suffocated in canary seed by the twins for her inheritance.
- Wellington and Forsythia Dread:"Departed life while in their beds, with identical bumps on their heads". The twins who were killed in their sleep by Maude with a mallet for the money.
- Cousin Maude Dread:"Our sleeping beauty, who never awoke the night her dreams went up in smoke" after being left the last living member of the family and sole heir to the Dread fortune burned to death as she slept due to her use of matches as hairpins.
- In the testing phase of the attraction the Dread family would have also included a Whitfield Tarkington Dread and Ruben Dread.
- The family has only been referred to as the Dreads in the testing phase of the attraction but it is still used as their official family name.
- Each member of the family's plaque is decorated with symbols that represent their murder weapon (all but Jacob who died before he had the chance to murder) the twins have a dead bird, Bertie has a bottle, Florence has a pistol and Maude has a mallet.
- There are items hidden on the busts to help figure out who killed who, Bertie has a pet snake wrapped around his neck that he would have milked for the poison, the twins have a bag of canary seed behind them and Maude has matches holding her hair in a bun.
- The name Dread is comes from the word dread which means to anticipate with fear.
- Imagineer Pete Carsillo said that he wanted to call them the Dreads so that it could open the door for families other than the Graceys to have lived in the Mansion and that it creates a lot more possibilities.
- In the exit crypt at DisneyWorld the Traveller Hitchhiking Ghost is has an open case with a portrait of Cousin Maude holding a lit match.
- In original concepts for the instalment the busts would whisper clues to the guests.