- The Ghost Host mentioning the Hitchhiking Ghosts upon leaving the Graveyard.
The Hitchhiking Ghosts are some of the most recognizable characters from the Haunted Mansion. After the Graveyard scene, they appear in a crypt and one of them sits in your car briefly. There are three of them:
The Prisoner is a short, dwarf-like figure whose most prominent features are his long beard and ball and chain that is shackled around his ankle. He also appears in the Graveyard scene next to the Executioner and the Beheaded Knight, where his singing voice is provided by Candy Candido. Fans often refer to him as "Gus," an unofficial name. (He is the one on the right in this photo.)
The Skeleton wears a bowler hat and has the same face mold as the Hatbox Ghost and other skeletal characters. Fans often refer to him as "Ezra," an unofficial name. (He is the one in the middle in the picture.)
The Traveleris a plump, hunchbacked ghost who wears a top hat and carries around a carpetbag. Fans often refer to him as "Phineas," an unofficial name. (He is the one on the left.)
In February 2011, the hitchhiking ghosts at Walt Disney World were replaced with a CGI animation. These were temporary as a way to make up for the new animatronics being made by the Imagineers. In April of 2011 Disney revealed brand new figures of the hitchhiking ghosts with more detail than ever. The old mirror trick in which the ghost were known for was replaced with new technology which is reportedly similar to that of an X-Box Kinnect. Now the ghosts have the ability to interact with the guests, such as playing pranks on them.
- For the first two years of Haunted Mansion Holiday , the Hitchhiking Ghosts were replaced with three jack-o-lanterns that would be Jack's gift to the guests. However, if one looks closely in the area where all three usually stand, where Lock, Shock, and Barrel now peer in through a window, they can be seen in the distance, implying that they never really left.
- They are also mentioned in the narration, trying to pick up a ride on Jack's sleigh, but they are ultimately denied, as Jack has to leave to continue his midnight journey.
- On House Of Mouse, the Hitchhiking Ghosts make a cameo appearance onstage after Pete says, "That stage is deader than The Haunted Mansion".
- On Haunted Mansion Holiday, the law breaking trio also make a cameo appearance in the cemetery scene where all of the Audio-Animatronics sing scary yet funny Christmas carols.